Selling Your Home? 5 Minor Fixes That Improve Your Sale Price
This is a sponsored post provided by an UK sponsor, so some of the links may contain websites from the UK. However, you can easily find US alternatives by searching for them on the internet.
When it comes to selling a home, not every homeowner has the resources, time and passion to do a full renovation. While forgoing the renovations will inevitably mean a lost opportunity in terms of profits, there are minor fixes a homeowner can do to recoup some of the lost value. Outside of staging a home with fresh, matching furnishings, plants, fixtures, and décor here are 5 fixes to improve a home’s sale value.
1. Plumbing Fixtures – If not in our own home, we have all experienced a toilet that runs constantly. Barely a moment goes by but the sound of leaking water can be heard, throughout the house. But before you rush out to the hardware store and spend a whole bunch on a replacement toilet, take the time to understand if it is an issue with the toilet, or the toilet flush valve. If it is the later, then it is a relatively inexpensive fix that you can do yourself. Remember even simple fixes can go a long way.
2. Steam Cleaning – Matted carpets do not do much to create the impression that a house has been cared for. Hiring a carpet cleaner to come into the home to do a steam cleaning will go a long way to removing stains from carpets, and making them look refreshed. This simple trick will not only remove the matted sections long enough to sell the house, it ensure white and off white carpets are their natural color again.
3. Painting – Neutral Colors – One of the easiest ways to spruce up your house for sale is to do some painting. On the exterior focus on the doors and window frames, and if the house is wooden on the outside, consider painting the whole house in a neutral color. This will help to boost the curb appeal of the property. While beige may be boring it should win the color argument inside the house. It is simple, clean, and matches any furnishings. Most importantly unlike other colors, every homeowner knows it is easy to paint over.
4. Outdoor Tidying – One of the best ways to add value to your home and prepare it for sale is to improve its appeal from the street perspective. This means taking the time to prune the trees, cut the lawn, and shape the edges of the garden. Planting a few extra well-chosen matching plants and installing planters on the step also goes a long way towards making the house show well.
5. Removing Extra Furnishings –The only thing worse than having a house without enough furniture, is having a house with too much. If the house looks cluttered then it will feel small. The end result is potential buyers will question the value that your desired purchase price offers, leading to discounting of their purchase offers.