Project Home #17: Creating a Productive Workspace
When I’m not working on job sites, I do a lot of work (writing, podcasting, personal projects, etc.) at home on my laptop. I didn’t have a set work space. I usually worked from my bed or sofa, sometimes on the floor, or the dining table. It wasn’t until I actually clear off my desk and started working on my desk, I feel more productive and more at ease with the work that I do.
Other than work, I also do crafts on my desk, so it’s imperative to design a workspace for you that serves you well, enables your creativity to flow and is easy to maintain. Work time at home can be precious and full of distractions, so it’s even more important to have a fully functioning (and ideally beautiful) space that inspires your creative self.
To start, assess your space:
- What do you do in your work space?
- What kind of tasks do you do?
- What supplies, equipment, tools will you need in your work space?
- What is working? What’s not working?
- How much room would you like to devote to various projects?
- What will you need to make the space feel like it’s yours?
Second, what does your dream space look like? Go to magazines or Pinterest, take a look at office/studio spaces that inspires you, and create an inspiration board for your office/studio space.
Now, look at your assessment and your inspiration board and start picking off ideas. Pick out things that are realistic for your space to create a work space that inspires you and you’ll love. And go for it!
Here are some additional tips:
- Find storage that works for your needs.
- Put up artwork, quotes, decorative objects, candles, etc. that inspire you and make you happy.
- Pick the right lighting that makes you feel comfortable working and not straining your eyes.
- Create some sort of signal that tells your family members that you can’t be disturb right now.
- Pick the right furniture that will support your work, like the right chair, desk, etc. that are ergonomical.
- Add plants to add life in your space.
- Set up a system that can keep your clutter at bay and easy to maintain.
Want A Cleaner & More Organized Home?
Show some love to your home this month by investing some elbow grease for a cleaner, more organized and refreshed home
Follow our 21 easy-to-do tasks (one email every weekday) to get your place back into shape to live or to start getting your home ready to sell.