How To Pick Colors For Your Home With Color Consultant Renate Ruby
ABOUT TODAY’S SHOW
HAPPY DECEMBER! On today’s show, I am interviewing interior design and color consultant Renate Ruby. This is a bit of a longer episode but we just had such a great time geeking out over colors and everything has to do with colors. We talked a lot about selecting colors, paint, lighting and home staging as well. There were a few things we disagreed on, but again, every home is unique and so if you are not sure, really learn about your local market and buyers when it comes to staging decisions. You can also always ask me questions on the show notes or in our private facebook group. Renate also has a beautiful store in Seattle called adorn that carries a great line of wallpapers, bed linens and all these beautiful things. So you will hear us geeking out about that as well!
WHAT WE DISCUSSED ON THE SHOW TODAY
- What is color consultations
- What is color
- Why using color fan deck is not a great way to choose colors
- How light affects the way we see colors
- LED light bulbs v. CFL
- Check your local government for subsidizing for LED light bulbs
- What can consumers expect when they work with a color consultant
- Color temperatures
- Design philosophies
- Design process
- “You don’t want it to match, you want it to go”
- Color wheel
- How does color impact our perception and how we feel?
- Is there such thing as the “right color?”
- Can you have too many colors in the home?
- How does one go about choosing the right colors for their home?
- Differences of performance in paint with different brands such as Benjamin Moore, C2, Farrow & Ball
- Painting the ceiling
- What is the most common mistake homeowners make when it comes to picking colors
- How to select the right colors for exterior?
- Techniques to help to decide on final colors
- Current trends in the paint & color world
- Colors apps to help you choose colors
- What you should know before you start working with a color consultant
- Common mistakes in bathrooms
- How to put wallpaper up if you have textured walls
- Belgium linens
I’ve been in the design field since 1988 doing things as diverse as murals, gilding, color consulting, interior design, and now I curate a small shop in Seattle called Adorn.
I like to get to the core of any style I work in and meld the requirements of the architecture with the customers needs and taste. Interior design is a compositional art form and it requires a commitment and focus on a stylistic goal, selecting pieces to do the job in the composition rather than simply filling a space with things the client likes.
I’m currently in love with all things linen, especially linen from Belgium.
Connect with Renate
Links & Resources Mentioned on the Show Today
If you want to help & support the show, there are 3 ways:
- Leave a review and ratings in iTunes
- Share the show on social media!
- Donate to support the hosting costs for the website and the podcast. You can make a donation through the show notes or on the sidebar of our site.
LISTEN TO TODAY'S SHOW
If you want to support the show and keep it going, you can do so by leaving a review and rating on iTunes, that will help other people to find our show. If you find the podcast helpful to your home sale and would like to donate a few bucks to help with the hosting of the show, there’s now a donation button on the blog sidebar to your right, you can donate $5 or more to help with costs associated with the show.