How Home Staging Sells Real Estate with Top Stager Helen Bartlett | The Home Staging Show Podcast Season 6 Episode 2
On today’s show, I interview Helen Barlett who is this amazing, top producing stager whose work is absolutely beautiful. What’s really impressive is that she is a one-woman show! This woman is a total rockstar. She has been staging since 2011 and has won numerous awards in Vacant Home Stagings, Owner Occupied Stagings and Redesign work. She was recently named as one of the Top 200 Influencers in the Design Industry for 2017. Helen has an extensive amount of knowledge regarding what makes staging work and the benefits not only to sellers but buyers and real estate agents as well. She stages approximately 100-120 homes a year doing owner-occupied homes, vacant homes and consultations. Helen Bartlett recently co-authored a Home Staging Book called “Home Staging ~ The Power That Sells Real Estate. It is a guide for homeowners thinking about selling their homes, real estate agents and anyone thinking about a home staging career. It gives great information, advice, and tips on how to sell your home for top dollar in the shortest amount of time. I’ll put a link of that in the show notes if you are interested in ordering the book.
In this episode, Helen not only talks about how home staging is a win-win for everyone involved, we also chat in depth about the state of home staging industry and common issues and mistakes we see new home stagers make.
Just a few quick updates: We are in the process of selling everything in the warehouse. If you are in the bay area and would like to buy some furniture and home goods, go to staged4more.com/sale.
And as you know, our 6-Figure Floor Plan course is now pre-selling! If you buy the course now, you will also get 3 one-on-one sessions with me, which is valued at $825. You also get $400 off the course, so that’s a total saving of $1,225 to you. That’s only available during the pre-sale. Once I sell out the limited spots, the price will go up.
Our show is brought to you by our in-house product, EcoJoe, the eco-friendly St Joseph statue home selling kit. In real estate, there’s a tradition to bury St Joseph statues for good luck. But because the existing products on the market were made with plastic, we made an eco-friendly named EcoJoe. He’s all natural, won’t harm the earth. We are currently having a 50% off sale. For more information, visit www.ecojoekits.com
This podcast is also brought to you by our Cash in the Cushions business courses for home stagers. If you are thinking about getting into the home staging business and not sure where to start, our Launcher program is designed for those who are thinking about venturing into the home staging industry. This 90-page workbook clarifies frequently asked questions about starting a home staging business, helps you navigate the waters of the marketplace so you can avoid the common slip-ups.
We are now doing a PRESALE for our 6-Figure Floor Plan course. I developed this course to be a complete course to build a profitable home staging business. I was tired of seeing new home stagers left high and dry by these other courses that are really expensive and still not prepare the students for real life staging business problems.
Because of this podcast and the blog I write about on the business of home staging, I get asked the same basic questions over and over again that should already be covered by these expensive courses. SO! In this jam-packed online course for home stagers, we'll go over systems, contracts, pricing, proposals, inventory, marketing, technology and everything you'll need to start getting clients. I’m going to show you the behind the scenes of how I had built my home staging business from the ground up, including worksheets, systems, scripts and workflow that I’ve developed to build a booked solid home staging business. You will be able to see my pricing proposal, contracts and every template I’ve created and used in my 6-figure home staging business.
We are launching this course late July or early August this year, you can find out more information by going to our website staged4more.com/6-figure-floor-plan
On today’s show, we discussed:
- Issues we see in the home staging industry today
- The true cost of home staging or not stage your house before you go on the market
- Opportunity cost of not staging
- Home staging statistics
- Why buyers offer less on the home
- Buyers’ behaviors and preferences today
- What buyers are willing to pay for in today’s market
- How Helen got started in home staging
- What home staging really is
- How important sales and marketing is in real estate and home staging
- How to communicate with real estate agents
- Earning the trust and respect of our clients
- As a new home stager, what you must do before you get your first job
- Common misconceptions about the career of home staging
- The real estate market of Kansas City
- What differentiates Kansas City from other real estate markets
- How Helen creates a warm and welcoming home through staging
- What buyers have to feel when they tour the homes
- The ideal color palette for home staging
- Colors create reactions
- What deter sellers to hire professional stagers
- Misconceptions home sellers have that hurt their sale
- 9 out of 10 buyers can’t visualize a vacant home
- What is the difference between a well-decorated home vs. a well-staged home
- How to figure out the demographic of your potential buyers
- How to deal with unattractive elements in a home
- How home stagers benefit both buyers and sellers
- How you can lose buyers by creating the wrong feeling in the home
- Common staging mistakes that can turn buyers off
- What sellers can do to prepare their homes for sale if they have limited budget
- Buyers decide between the first 15 seconds they walk into the home
- Helen’s number 1 tip for homeowners who want to stage their homes for sale
- Important things to buyers
- How to have the difficult conversations with homeowners
- How Helen plans the color palette for staging
- Helen’s design styles
If you enjoy the show, please leave a review & rating on iTunes! Every rating and review help someone finds our show, helps us grow our show and get more awesome guests. So that’s it for today’s show. Happy staging!
Helen's Official Bio
A national award winning home stager and home stylist, Helen Bartlett has been staging homes in the metro Kanas City area in both Kansas and Missouri since 2011. She has been awarded several national home staging awards including the Top 10 Professional Home Stagers in the United States for Vacant Homes, Owner Occupied Homes and Redesign work for three consecutive years 2015, 2016 and 2017. In 2013 she received the Top 10 Rising Star award for Home Stagers in North America. Also recognized on Houzz, she has been awarded several years of service awards, as well and “Influencer” and “recommended” badges for her professional profile. Her work has been featured on local television in the Kansas City area, The Kansas City Star (Newspaper) as well as Kansas City Home & Styles Magazine.
Helen Bartlett recently co-authored a Home Staging Book called “Home Staging ~ The Power That Sells Real Estate." It is a guide for homeowners thinking about selling their homes, real estate agents and anyone thinking about a home staging career. It gives great information, advice, and tips on how to sell your home for top dollar in the shortest amount of time. It was launched in November 2016 and can be ordered at www.kansascityhomestagers.com or by emailing email@example.com
Her work includes vacant home staging, owner occupied home stagings as well as re-design work. Owning her own inventory allows her the flexibility to remain competitive in pricing her services as well as provide the current trends and styles that buyers are looking for in today’s real estate market.
Most recently, Helen Bartlett was named as one of the Top 200 Influencers in the Interior Design Industry for 2017.
Connect with Helen
If you want to help & support the show, there are 3 ways:
- Leave a review and ratings in iTunes
- Share the show on social media!
- Donate to support the hosting costs for the website and the podcast. You can make a donation through the show notes or on the sidebar of our site.
LISTEN TO TODAY'S SHOW
If you want to support the show and keep it going, you can do so by leaving a review and rating on iTunes, that will help other people to find our show. If you find the podcast helpful to your home sale and would like to donate a few bucks to help with the hosting of the show, there’s now a donation button on the blog sidebar to your right, you can donate $5 or more to help with costs associated with the show.