How Home Staging Can Make or Break Your Home Sale with Bobbie McGrath | The Home Staging Show S6.3
Hey guys, welcome back to season 6 episode 3. I’m so excited to have Bobbie back on the show. We talked shop quite a bit in the beginning. I usually cut those stuff out but I kept a little bit this time because I think there are a lot of nuggets of wisdom in there, which is usual when you have an interview with Bobbie. I think it’s beneficial for homeowners to hear some of these behind the scenes stuff and it’s especially helpful for those new home stagers in our audience.
Bobbie is just a force in our industry. After 13 years and over 5,400 home stagings, Bobbie McGrath has become a sought-after speaker and trainer. She is currently training Australian realtors on how best to present staging to their listing clients as a powerful and effective marketing tool. She created the North Carolina Board of Realtors approved, “Setting the Stage…” as a continuing education elective for Realtors Her communication style, choice of words and “tasting” of color makes her sessions memorable! She will soon release the details of her new coaching program designed especially for new home stagers and those looking to grow their business with a positive and empowering point of view.
Just a few quick updates
We are in the process of selling everything in the warehouse. If you are in the bay area and would like to buy some furniture and home goods, go to staged4more.com/sale.
And as you know, our 6-Figure Floor Plan course is now pre-selling! If you buy the course now, you will also get 3 one-on-one sessions with me, which is valued at $825. You also get $400 off the course, so that’s a total saving of $1,225 to you. That’s only available during the pre-sale. Once I sell out the limited spots, the price will go up.
Our show is brought to you by our in-house product, EcoJoe, the eco-friendly St Joseph statue home selling kit. In real estate, there’s a tradition to bury St Joseph statues for good luck. But because the existing products on the market were made with plastic, we made an eco-friendly named EcoJoe. He’s all natural, won’t harm the earth. We are currently having a 50% off sale. For more information, visit www.ecojoekits.com
This podcast is also brought to you by our Cash in the Cushions business courses for home stagers. If you are thinking about getting into the home staging business and not sure where to start, our Launcher program is designed for those who are thinking about venturing into the home staging industry. This 90-page workbook clarifies frequently asked questions about starting a home staging business, helps you navigate the waters of the marketplace so you can avoid the common slip-ups.
We are now doing a PRESALE for our 6-Figure Floor Plan course. I developed this course to be a complete course to build a profitable home staging business. I was tired of seeing new home stagers left high and dry by these other courses that are really expensive and still not prepare the students for real life staging business problems.
Because of this podcast and the blog I write about on the business of home staging, I get asked the same basic questions over and over again that should already be covered by these expensive courses. SO! In this jam-packed online course for home stagers, we'll go over systems, contracts, pricing, proposals, inventory, marketing, technology and everything you'll need to start getting clients. I’m going to show you the behind the scenes of how I had built my home staging business from the ground up, including worksheets, systems, scripts and workflow that I’ve developed to build a booked solid home staging business. You will be able to see my pricing proposal, contracts and every template I’ve created and used in my 6-figure home staging business.
We are launching this course late July or early August this year, you can find out more information by going to our website staged4more.com/6-figure-floor-plan
On today’s show, we discussed:
- Issues in home staging industry today
- Issues with training programs for home stagers today
- Current Raleigh real estate market
- How luxury market behaves differently than starter home market
- Bobbie’s trick of the trade for boosting your curb appeal without spending a lot of money
- How Bobbie’s help sellers to pull a plan for staging together
- How to work smarter in staging your home
- Just because a stager had showed up at your house to do a consultation, that doesn’t mean your house is staged. You still have to do the work.
- What it takes to get your house staged
- How important storage is in your home sale
- Our relationship with our stuff
- How our stuff becomes visual noise
- How to decide what stays and what goes when you’re staging the home
- Visual story telling for rooms
- What makes a dining room a dining room
- The biggest mistake sellers can make in the living room
- How you leave money on the table during the sale
- How a simple thing can kill your sale
- How to edit the room down
- Different levels during pre-packing
- Order of importance of the rooms
- How Bobbie comes up with the color palette of the home
- How light can change the colors
- How Bobbie creates continuity through the home, even when you have different architectural styles
- Ways to help to make the home feel updated without spending a lot of money
- How can sellers get their homes ready for sale
- What not to do
- What you can do if you absolutely have zero budget
- Why cheap stagers can be disastrous for your sale
- Professional home stagers vs. hobbyist stagers
- Why making the home look pretty is not home staging
- Common mistakes new home stagers make without even realizing it
- What stager’s responsibilities are when they get push backs from home sellers
- Why accessories-only staging is not an effective marketing strategy
- How consumers can tell who is a hobby stager and who is a professional home stager
- Beware of looking at home stagers’ portfolio
- Bobbie’s number 1 tip for homeowners who are getting ready for putting the home on the market
- If you enjoy the show, please leave a review & rating on iTunes! Every rating and review help someone finds our show, helps us grow our show and get more awesome guests. So that’s it for today’s show. Happy staging!
Bobbie's Official Bio
Bobbie McGrath is an award winning home stager, trainer, speaker and best selling author of the book, “home staging the power that sells real estate”. The only award winning home stager specializing in providing professional occupied home staging services throughout the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area Bobbie was voted by her international peers as one of the Top Ten Occupied Home Stagers in America in both 2015 and 2016. Bobbie’s focus on providing practical and cost effective home staging recommendations has earned her the reputation as the “go-to” Stager in her area.
Realtors use words like, “positive”, “professional”, “effective” and “great communicator” when describing her interactions with their clients. Home sellers often remark how the deceptively simple changes she recommends can create such a huge difference in the way they house is seen. One seller even said, “I’ll never sign with a Realtor who doesn’t use Bobbie as their Stager.”
After 13 years and over 5,400 home stagings, Bobbie McGrath has become a sought after speaker and trainer. She is currently training Australian realtors on how best to present staging to their listing clients as a powerful and effective marketing tool. She created the North Carolina Board of Realtors approved, “Setting the Stage…” as a continuing education elective for Realtors Her communication style, choice of words and “tasting” of color makes her sessions memorable! She will soon release the details of her new coaching program designed especially for new home stagers and those looking to grow their business with a positive and empowering point of view.
Whether meeting with home sellers, speaking to organizations or training realtors and fellow stagers, Bobbie’s goal is to always leave you with a positive and empowering message!
If you want to help & support the show, there are 3 ways:
- Leave a review and ratings in iTunes
- Share the show on social media!
- Donate to support the hosting costs for the website and the podcast. You can make a donation through the show notes or on the sidebar of our site.
LISTEN TO TODAY'S SHOW
If you want to support the show and keep it going, you can do so by leaving a review and rating on iTunes, that will help other people to find our show. If you find the podcast helpful to your home sale and would like to donate a few bucks to help with the hosting of the show, there’s now a donation button on the blog sidebar to your right, you can donate $5 or more to help with costs associated with the show.