Haunted Real Estate, Ed & Lorraine Warren, and What To Do If Your House Is Haunted
ABOUT TODAY’S SHOW
If you have been listening to the show for awhile and like the show, please take a minute to rate and review The Home Staging Show on iTunes. That will be super helpful because that will help other people to find this show and allow me to keep finding great guests and keep recording.
Today’s show is brought to you by EcoJoe, the eco-friendly St Joseph statue home selling kit. In real estate, there is a tradition of praying to St Joseph for good luck, and we made an eco-friendly made with clay. EcoJoe is 100% natural, he won’t harm the earth. To find out more about the product, visit ecojoekits.com
This special episode is all about haunted real estate. Today’s show is also a bit longer than our normal show. We have 2 guests on the show today. The first guest is Susan Powell, who is a home stager based in Chicago and has worked with haunted houses in her staging. She will also talk about what she now carries in her staging toolkit now that she has come in contact with a few haunted houses. The second guest is a good friend of mine, Diana Mercer. She had worked closely with Ed and Lorraine Warren, who are the subjects of the movies The Conjuring and Annabelle. She has a LOT of crazy stories about haunting, possession and I also asked her to share advices if you are suspecting hauntings in your home or what to look for in a potential house that you are thinking about buying. She actually was an atheist, she is going to share the story of why she now is made a believer.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE STUFF WE TALKED ABOUT ON THE SHOW TODAY:
- Working in haunted homes
- The differences between ghosts v. evil spirits
- What are ghosts
- When you see your dead grandmother or white apparitions appear vs. dark shadowy figures and foul smells
- What may cause a ghost
- #1 cause of bringing in evil spirits in your home
- How Annabelle got started
- Diana’s firsthand experiences and stories from working with Ed and Lorraine Warren
- What to do with elemental and fairly harmless ghosts
- Not every state has law that requires homeowners to disclose hauntings, so what should you do if you were a buyer?
- The Amityville Horror
- If someone got murdered in the house, does that make the home haunted?
- Spirit photography
ABOUT OUR GUESTS TODAY
Guest #1: Susan Powell
After graduation from PSC Susan started an independent full-service interior design firm working in the residential and commercial world. Specializing in one-day makeovers or simply using what the homeowner already owns, Susan has been helping people reconnect and fall in love with their homes again – without spending a lot of money – which is her company’s specialty. Another specialty of her firm is staging properties for resale. They do vacant homes using items from their inventory and rental or occupied. A house staged by Susan is never on the market longer than 90 days. As one of the founding members of Interior Stylist Network, she embraces their design philosophy of “celebrating the soul of your home.”
Susan’s passion is adaptive reuse and historical renovation. With the upsurge in real estate right now in Chicago former blighted neighborhoods are coming back to life. These old neighborhoods have amazing historical homes that people are rediscovering and reclaiming. She’s happy to not only stage this awesome places, but she’s there in the beginning discovering these once ornate gems, advising investors which ones to buy, and guiding a team of rehabbers to restore the old beauties, but with all the bells & whistles today’s homeowner demands. After the house has been restored, she stage it and it sells. From there we move on to another.
Connect with Susan
Guest #2: Diana Mercer
Diana Mercer is a member of the new England Society for Psychic Research, founded by Ed and Lorraine Warren. She was an integral part of their ghost hunting team. Ed and Loraine Warren are the investigators for the stories for Annabel and The Conjuring and the Warrens were the first people to enter the Amityville Horror house after the possession.
If you want to help & support the show, there are 3 ways:
- Leave a review and ratings in iTunes
- Share the show on social media!
- Donate to support the hosting costs for the website and the podcast. You can make a donation through the show notes or on the sidebar of our site.
LISTEN TO TODAY'S SHOW
If you want to support the show and keep it going, you can do so by leaving a review and rating on iTunes, that will help other people to find our show. If you find the podcast helpful to your home sale and would like to donate a few bucks to help with the hosting of the show, there’s now a donation button on the blog sidebar to your right, you can donate $5 or more to help with costs associated with the show.
If you enjoy the show, please leave a review & rating on iTunes! <3
People & Links Mentioned in Today’s Show + Additional Resources
- How a Quintuple Murder and a Dream House on the Hudson Brought the Paranormal Into Our Legal System | Village Voice
- Why do people believe in ghosts?
- 9 Horror Movies Inspired by Real-Life Events
- This Connecticut City is one of the most haunted cities in US
- Website will happily let you know if anyone died in your apartment
- Winchester House in San Jose, CA
- Palo Santo (also known as Holy Wood) is a rare, natural wood aromatic incense used for centuries by the Incas as a spiritual remedy for purifying and cleansing and to get rid of evil spirits, misfortune and calamity.
- Ed & Lorraine Warren
- The Conjuring
- White sage is also mentioned on the show. You can purchase them on our sister website ecojoekits.com.
- Photo credit: Featured image Annabelle courtesy from Cinemax Movie Studio.