Choosing The Right Colors For Your Home With True Color Expert Maria Killiam [Season 3, Episode 11]
ABOUT TODAY’S SHOW
On the show today, I’m interviewing Maria Killiam, the founder and trainer for True Color Expert. She is an internationally sought after color expert, design blogger, author of 2 eBooks, trainer, decorator and stylist. I love her energy. She’s funny, charming and very no-nonsense, which I really love. She gave a lot of information about choosing colors and styling on this episode and I hope you’ll take away some great information to work on your home.
What We Discussed on the Show Today
- How Maria got started
- What’s undertone
- The 9 most important undertones to know
- Colors can help you get the look and feel right for your home
- Easy place to start working in colors in your home
- Finding the right white
- Bathroom renovations
- How to create the look of your house
- Where to start when you pick colors for your home
- How to work with colors if they’re clashing
- You should never have more than ____ undertones in the same room
- Earthy side of undertones
- Some rules when it comes to choose colors
- The reason for the gray trend
- Common mistakes with trends
- What colors are in right now
- How greige become popular
- How long a color trend lasts
- Every bathroom should be ______
- How to use colors to make the home feel cohesive
- How to create flow and where to start
- Some of the biggest mistake a homeowner makes when they choose colors
- Why sofas in the store may look really different than in your home and how to avoid it
- How light affects colors
- Why colors should relate to each other
- Why is white so complicated?
- White falls under 4 categories
- Biggest challenge with choosing colors
- New trends in 2016
- How Pantone got their new colors this year
- Maria’s go to colors
- What makes a room feel finished and styled
- How Maria improved her styling
- Some of Maria’s tricks to update and style homes
Maria Killam is an internationally sought after colour expert, design blogger, author of 2 eBooks, How to Choose Paint Colours; It’s all in the Undertones and White is Complicated; a Decorators Guide to Choosing the Right White, trainer, decorator and stylist. She is passionate about all things colour and design, subjects she writes about extensively on her blog, Colour Me Happy.
Nominated for the 2015 WithIt Education Award, Maria has recently been published in Style at Home, Canadian Living, Better Homes and Gardens and Dabble. Her work has been featured in The Washington Post, Apartment Therapy, HGTV and House Beautiful among other publications. Her Work won the best of Houzz awards for design and service in 2014 & 2015.
Maria’s no-nonsense colour advice, along with her friendly and inspiring writing style quickly turned Colour Me Happy into one of the top 10 colour blogs in North America with over 200,000 readers in 171 countries around the world.
Maria’s experience conducting thousands of consultations in every style of home created the foundation for her revolutionary and breakthrough system of Understanding Undertones™ and her Colour Confidence Method™.
Connect with Maria
Your website: www.mariakillam.com
If you want to help & support the show, there are 3 ways:
- Leave a review and ratings in iTunes
- Share the show on social media!
- Donate to support the hosting costs for the website and the podcast. You can make a donation through the show notes or on the sidebar of our site.
LISTEN TO TODAY'S SHOW
If you want to support the show and keep it going, you can do so by leaving a review and rating on iTunes, that will help other people to find our show. If you find the podcast helpful to your home sale and would like to donate a few bucks to help with the hosting of the show, there’s now a donation button on the blog sidebar to your right, you can donate $5 or more to help with costs associated with the show.