10 Ways To Improve Your Backyard
Your home’s backyard can be an afterthought or a showpiece — which is yours? What makes the difference between the two is a little thought and effort. If your yard is currently an empty patch of grass, you’re missing a great opportunity to add value to your life and home. Through the right enhancements, you can turn a lackluster space into a beloved gathering area, a play area for kids, or even a private outdoor oasis where you can relax and recharge after a long day. How can you improve your backyard to make the most of its possibilities?
To help answer that question, here are 10 great ways to make your backyard better:
- Build a patio or deck. Imagine entertaining guests and hosting backyard barbecues on your private patio or deck. Think of how relaxing it would be to sit outside beneath a patio umbrella while you watch the sunset. Whether you build a deck, pour concrete or lay bricks, when you add a patio or deck, you create more enjoyable outdoor space. A patio or deck is a selling point for a home because it adds usable living space outside.
- Get a grill. Outdoor grilling is a quintessential pastime, whether you go with charcoal or gas. Add one to your yard to have backyard barbecues, dinners cooked on the open flame, and a great reason to spend more time outdoors.
- Add lights. The right outdoor lighting can create a wonderful ambiance for evening entertaining. It transforms a dull and dark space into a magical getaway. Hang strings of lights, get landscaping lights and think of ways to add illumination outdoors.
- Plant a garden. Backyard landscaping sets the stage for enjoying your outdoor space. Whether you add flowers, decorative trees, shrubs or a combination of these elements, you can beautify your yard with the right plants. You may even want to grow a vegetable garden for homegrown food to enjoy in season.
- Add water features. Give yourself the relaxing luxury of gently running water in your backyard and add a water feature. A fountain or small pond can be just the feature to take your backyard up a notch.
- Add a swing or hammock. Nothing sets the stage for outdoor relaxation like a comfortable place to sit. Try adding a porch swing or a hammock where you can sway back and forth in the fresh air. If you go with a hammock, consider getting a base so that you can put the hammock anywhere in your yard.
- Add a fence. Adding a fence to your backyard is a great way to gain privacy, boost security and enhance your property’s aesthetic. Keep kids and pets safely near your home, and enjoy entertaining without neighbors’ watchful eyes. You can also enhance your fence with flowers and climbing vines.
- *Build a playground. One of the best parts of enclosing your backyard is creating a private place for your kids to be able to play. Once you’ve installed a fence, why not add a playground? Your kids will love being able to run outside and swing, slide or climb to their hearts’ content.
- Add a fire pit. A fire pit gives you a gathering place where you can spend time after the sun goes down. Go out there with friends to roast marshmallows or get together with loved ones to cuddle by the flames.
- *Add a swimming pool. For the ultimate in outdoor luxury, there’s nothing like a swimming pool. Enjoy a private place to beat the summer heat and host parties in the water.
A better backyard is at your fingertips when you take advantage of a few creative ideas. Use the 10 suggestions above to get inspired, and start sprucing up your outdoor space!
*These two particular suggestions may not get a high ROI if you are thinking to sell your home within a year.
Author bio: Dean White is Owner and Operator of Tru-Link Fence, one of the largest fence companies in northern Illinois. He has more than 30 years of experience in the fence industry.
Photo credit: Josh Wilburne Photography